Granola Bars
Rachel’s Recipe (finally found one that they ALL like)
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup puffed millet
1/4 cup flax seeds (slightly chopped)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (slightly chopped)
1 cup whole cashews (slightly chopped)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon – I stopped putting cinnamon in them. I finally figured out that it was the “strange taste” that Tripp kept complaining about. Should have known since he’s never been a cinnamon fan.
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
1/3 cup brown sugar (I use sucanat)
1/3 cup chocolate chips (they will melt but add good flavor)
1/3 cup caramel bits (they will melt but add good flavor)
Sarah’s Recipe
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cups rice crispy type cereal
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup whole cashews (I chopped them slightly)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
I also threw in a handful of chocolate chips - they ended up melting a little but still came out alright. I probably won't add them next time.
Original Recipe:
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup pepitas
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 cup whole almonds (or other nut)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)
Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 325. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Next, line a 9x13 with parchment paper (this will form a “basket” for you to lift out the sheet of granola, before you cut it into bars).
Combine the oats, seeds and nuts; spread out evenly on the rimmed baking sheet and toast for 15 minutes. When the oat mixture has been toasting for about 10 minutes, combine the honey, peanut butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and vanilla in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
If the sugar dissolves before the oat mixture is done toasting, reduce the heat to low.
When the oat mixture is done toasting, transfer it to a large bowl and add the honey mixture and fruit; stir to incorporate. Spread the mixture in the prepared square pan, using the back of a wooden spoon or bottom of a measuring cup to press the mixture into the pan and create a smooth, even surface. I spread some plastic wrap over it and mooshed it down really good, packed it in the pan as tight as I could. When it reached room temp then I cut the bars in the sizes I wanted.
Chewy – Do NOT bake the bars.
Crunchy – Bake the bars for 30 minutes
No comments:
Post a Comment