I'm a huge fan of was has been named Native Nutrition. I truly believe that this is the key to us getting our health back for the human race. I try to keep us as close to that lifestyle as possible when we're home. It's almost impossible out in the world...and we wonder why there are so many health issues skyrocketing.
This is a "nut-shell" article about it: Weston A. Price Foundation
It is a great brochure to give you a brief intro into Native Nutrition.
It is a great brochure to give you a brief intro into Native Nutrition.
Books:
Here are the cookbooks I live by in addition to often cooking from "antique" cookbooks (they are great since they only use staples) and, most nights, I fly by the seat of my pants with what I have available.


Body Ecology by Donna Gates
This is the book that they are having AMAZING results with autism and ADD/ADHD. I actually got to see this first hand with a child that used to be in one of our homeschool groups. It really was remarkable. Even though none of my guys has these conditions, I do try to keep them as gluten-free as possible since I notice major behavior and emotional differences when they have a lot of gluten (in bread, pasta, crackers, cookies, etc - actually, it's in pretty much everything - things you would never even expect - if it says wheat anywhere in the ingredients, it's in there).

Shopping:
I'm not fanatical about it but at home and for the majority of their diets, I try to keep it to only buying local which include raw milk, cheese, kefir, grass-fed beef, organic pastured chickens, farm eggs from the farm where we get our veggies (just a few miles from us), bacon and pork products from a local meat market where the pork is raised well and locally.
When I have to get things from the store, my favorites are Rita's in New Braunfels and Cornucopia in San Marcos.
We are pretty much off the grocery store grid. I have about 5-10 things that I have to get at HEB. Everything else is local. It feels so good to not be dependent on the corporations. About two years ago, out of the blue, Tripp asked why are there health food stores and grocery stores? If the stuff in the grocery stores is bad for us, why do they sell it? Well, ever since then, we have many, many, many discussions about corporate greed, having to use cheaper ingredients in order to make more profit, explaining the motivations of a corporation over our local farms, etc.
Again, I'm not fanatical about keeping them only on this diet, I just try to make it the majority. It's so important that we start reclaiming ours and our children's health for them and for the future generations.
Anyway, I'm trying my hardest to raise healthy kids so they live long healthy lives and give me healthy grand kids one day!!! ;-)
Why Gluten-Free?
Gluten is nasty stuff that really none of us should have. I began learning about the gluten-free thing when Avi was about between 2 and 3. She had chronic diarrhea and we had her tested. The tests came back fine that she didn't have Celiac's or anything like that but they said that she can still be gluten sensitive and that wouldn't show up on any tests...you just know it by tracking. Sure enough, she is. I also noticed that Tripp was very "spacey" after lunch most days when we were eating sandwiches. I started paying attention when they were eating and then their behavior and emotions and for Avi, her potty issues. Avi will have melt-downs of emotion either getting really upset and crying or getting very agitated and angry. Tripp gets tired and VERY spacey. I even notice that Torin is more agitated and emotional as well after a lot of gluten. They still get some gluten when we go out but I try to keep them away from it as much as possible. It has made a huge difference in our lives.
We are pretty much off the grocery store grid. I have about 5-10 things that I have to get at HEB. Everything else is local. It feels so good to not be dependent on the corporations. About two years ago, out of the blue, Tripp asked why are there health food stores and grocery stores? If the stuff in the grocery stores is bad for us, why do they sell it? Well, ever since then, we have many, many, many discussions about corporate greed, having to use cheaper ingredients in order to make more profit, explaining the motivations of a corporation over our local farms, etc.
Again, I'm not fanatical about keeping them only on this diet, I just try to make it the majority. It's so important that we start reclaiming ours and our children's health for them and for the future generations.
Anyway, I'm trying my hardest to raise healthy kids so they live long healthy lives and give me healthy grand kids one day!!! ;-)
Some additional info regarding raw milk:
From Mercola.com
From RealMilk.com
Why Gluten-Free?
No comments:
Post a Comment