Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Beyond Proud of my Kids Moment

I friend of mine saw a lady on a bike get hit by a car in Landa Park yesterday and was first on the scene. She said that the lady was conscience but that there was a lot of blood. She's hoping that she will be ok. She wrote "I was reminded about how quickly things happen and your life can change in an instant - so everyone go kiss their loved ones now...."

It reminded me that I have been wanting to write down the event for the kids.
Ever since kids, I've always hoped we wouldn't be first-responder to a crash, for they're sake. Well, once again, I was reminded of how often we underestimate our kids. A few weeks ago we were coming home from my dad's on Hwy 90 out in the country. We wound up right behind a really nasty car wreck and were almost involved (a pick up and suburban). It was, however a very good learning experience and I have never been prouder of my kids.

We had to go off the road to avoid it and while I was concentrating on getting us back on the road, Tripp looked back and saw the suburban flip one and half times and luckily land back up right. Needless to say they were completely freaked out and crying. As soon as I got us back up on the road, they both started SCREAMING to call 911 and that we have check on them, we have to see if they're ok, we have to get over there!! Their first and only thoughts were on the people that were involved.

I got us pulled over off the road and parked where I could see them and told them to not get out of the car and I would be back in a minute. I ran to the suburban which was on the same side of the road as us - the pick-up was on the other side. The lady was climbing out of the window which was surrounded by broken glass. Managed to get her out and she was hysterical. She was wondering in circles and I kept trying to get her to sit down and then it clicked to use "the mom voice". My friends and I are always laughing about having to use "the mom voice" but it worked like a charm. She finally sat down.

Tripp stuck his head out of the van door and was holding up our first aid kit hollering if I needed it - proud again. I was hoping so much that someone would show up (not a very busy road) since I still needed to get over to the pick-up but didn't want to leave her. Luckily, several people showed up and helped the people in the truck. We kept trying to call her husband but couldn't get him. As it turned out, he was on his way home on the same road and came up on the wreck a little after it happened.

The ambulance did take them but it looked like everyone was going to be ok. She was hurt the worst since she was the one that rear ended the back corner of the pick-up which made her flip. Didn't look like any broken bones but she had a lot of deep cuts, especially on her leg. Being another mom, I was most thankful that her 2 kids were not in the car since she was on her way to pick them up.

So, again, I have never been prouder of my kids and we did, of course, use the lesson on just one more reason why I need to pay attention to the road (they don't ask me to constantly look at stuff while we're driving anymore) and why NOT to tailgate!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment