Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dentist Drama and Wonderful Friends!

Yesterday was an emotional day.  Took all the kids to the dentist.  Tripp's checked out fine (as usual), Torin's was good too (they won't x-ray until he turns 4, and Avi, well, all she had was a tiny little cavity and some decay around an old filling.  That one was going to require a cap so I said ok.  When she came out, we both saw it and burst into tears.  It was a solid silver tooth!!!!  And her very first molar on the bottom so that's all you see when she smiles or talks!!  It was awful.  Even if she didn't do the acting think, I can't stand to make her have that for the next 5-6 years.  Especially with her silly and beautiful lower mouth smile (yes, orthodontics will be in her future for her underbite, and Tripp for his wide teeth - hoping they keep making advances so they won't have to deal with traditional braces).

I had know idea it was going to be silver.  I didn't even know the still did silver in mouths.  They said that they are stainless steel now but I've never had one.  They were WONDERFUL!!  They saw how upset we were about it and ordered her one that is white.  It is enamel over a stainless one.  The dentist did warn me that they are not as strong and can chip (bye-bye hard candy - I like that idea anyway since even with good brushing I can still see that junk in their teeth) but then my neighbor made me feel better since she said that she has had one for years and eaten everything normally and it's never chipped.  They were also wonderful in that they admitted that several of them said a cap never told me it would be silver when I explained that I really thought they didn't do silver anymore.  I didn't blame them and they didn't blame me.  We both admitted to not following through completely and, even better, they are only going to charge me for the new cap. Soooooo....she has an appointment on the 14th (earlier if they can fit her in - they had to order to new cap).

Now that she knows for sure she's getting a new one soon, she's having fun with it.  Before she couldn't stop crying and kept hollering about how much she hated it.  Now she's running around showing everyone her silver tooth like it's costume jewelry or dress-up.

After all that, we headed over to get my splint adjusted and where those pins go in has not been healing so great, are swollen and really hurt.  We made some adjustment, monkied with it and they are looking better this morning.

It was hurting so much from us messing with it that I couldn't wait to get home.  When I came home, I was cheered up by some emails from some amazing friends.  We have been having to leaving our beloved Wednesday playgroup early ever since Avi's gymnastics schedule changed and it's been rotten.  Being homeschoolers, our playgroup is VERY important to the kids and moms.  I had asked them if meeting on Thursday afternoons would be an option so we could get in a full afternoon and not have to rush off.  I hated asking everyone to move things around just for us but it all worked out!!  Several did have to monkie things around but did, several it worked fine for and several friends that also had Wednesday conflicts are now able to come.  I'm just feeling overwhelmingly thankful for good friends!!!!!  Love you guys!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment